HOME

PERSONNEL

APPARATUS

EMS

PHOTOS

REPORTS

LACONIA FIRE HISTORY

U.S. FIRE HISTORY

KID'S FIRE SAFETY

SUMMER FIRE SAFETY

U.S.FIRE STATS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Laconia Fire Department Early History

In the mid 1800's with Laconia's growth as an industrial center, came a growing need for fire protection. Fire brigades were established by different companies in town. These fire brigades were made available to the public as well by the companies which had set them up.

The Great Fire of 1860 which destroyed most of the property on Main Street from Mill Street to Water Street on November 21 of that year put these fire brigades to the test

These private fire-fighting companies were well established by the 1870's with fire houses, men in uniform, and up-to-date equipment.

 Fire brigades and, later, departments were called in by telegraph and, later, by telephone. In winter, equipment was placed on trains to get it as close to the fire as road conditions would allow.

It is worth noting that there were two major disasters in the early 1900's:

in 1902 there was an explosion which destroyed the Masonic temple and the adjacent livery stable.


On May 26, 1903, A strong southeast wind was blowing from Lake Opechee when a fire broke out in  Lakeport at the H.H. Wood Mill. A General Alarm was sounded bringing all fire fighting apparatus with Concord, Dover and Franklin responding with steam engines being brought in by train. By far the most destructive fire in Laconia's History.

Great Lakeport Fire Slide Show

 

All Images and written material are the property of the City of Laconia

 

Website Design & Hosting by Paul Harris